I have decided that — for the time being — I will not have a place where people can subscribe to things I'm writing about, like a traditional blog. If people want to subscribe to this "site" (not sure what to call it yet), they will need to email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is probably not scalable over the long term but I have so few people who would actually subscribe now that I don't think it will be a problem and we can deal with that problem once it emerges, if it ever does.
There primary reasons why I've decided to this (which mutually reinforce each other):
- Sets up high barriers to entry and self-selects the people who really want to hear about what I'm thinking about, doing, etc.
- It affords me the opportunity to develop a relationship with everyone who subscribes from the get go.
- 1000 true fans: I'd rather have a very strong base of a small number subscribers who are deeply involved and I can serve them the best "product".
- 🚧Not sure who wrote about it but I think Seth Godin? Something about 1000 or 100 true fans 🚧—> add name of guy who actually did this, Tymo mentioned his name
- Opposite Test by Guy Kawasaki
- Goodhart's law: "When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure"
Written: August 9, 2020