There are some easy principles that I think any successful influencer (marketer, sales, negotiation, etc.) should know. And they can be used to help explain the world around you.
The two books that I refer back to most often are:
- Influence by Cialdini
- Made to Stick by the Heath Brothers
I am usually a huge advocate of books; however, Influence is long and dried out (IMHO) and I've never actually finished Made to Stick because it became so boring to me.
Instead, I'd recommend you watch the two videos and make sure you understand the concepts and commit them to heart. 1. Influence
Commitment / Consistency
- In-group, out-group bias —> The Eagles and The Rattlers experiment
- Miligram Experiment
- Stanford Prison Experiment
Rare / Exclusivity / Scarcity
2. Made to Stick
- "Uber for x"
- Think "availability bias"
- Similar to Authority
- Ppl remember stories waaaay more easily than they remember facts
*Curse of Knowledge — tapper vs. listener experiment
Written: November 8, 2020
- Another one along these lines is "Contagious" which talks about why certain ideas spread and others don't