I had a difficult time coming back to university at the beginning of the second semester of my first year.
I had deferred two exams in December. I think it was the fear of failure (and the associated uncertainty) that really got to me.
After returning home for the Christmas Break, I was set on not going back. The BIG, bad exams seemed undefeatable and I was certain I would fail…
Luckily, I had three HUGE supports in my life — my mom, my aunt, and my girlfriend (at the time).
My mom being my mom really helped me through those hard times. One thing she did was she made me an envelope of sayings to carry around wherever I went.
The envelope is entitled “READ THESE! FOLLOW THEM! BELIEVE THEM!” and I’d love to share the sayings with you!
- I am a rebel. I think positively!
- It’s a new day!!
- I may not be there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday.
- Just because something isn’t happening for you right now doesn’t mean that it will never happen.
- Never give up until you’ve given out all your very best. It’s better to fail trying than wondering what could have happened if you had tried.
- Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.
- Read something positive every night and listen to something helpful every morning.
- In this world, we have to take chances. Sometimes they’re worth it and sometimes they’re not but you will never know until you try.
- If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can’t, you’re right.
- Change your thoughts and you can change your world.
- The worst mistake anyone can make is being afraid to make one.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try.
I still carry these sayings in my backpack everywhere I go. And whether I consciously or subconsciously believed them, somehow I made it through those BIG, bad exams (and am still here to tell the tale)!
Written: April 4, 2014